Made watermelon jam, it didn't jam or jelly like , also added 3 cup sugar...

Made watermelon jam, it didn't jam or jelly like , also added 3 cup sugar instead of 4, if I open the jars, add another cup of sugar and another sur-jel will it become more like jelly, and can I use the jar tops again will they reseal or do I have to buy new ones

Madison County Ohio

I am sorry for the delay in the response as I see you submitted your question Saturday evening and I am just now seeing it in my notifications.

I am attaching a web link for the OSU Factsheet on Jam and Jellies. There is information on remaking soft jams and jellies at the end of the resources. I am also including a link to information from the National Center for Home Food Preservation regarding how you remake soft jams and jellies.

I hope you will find these helpful!

To address the next part of your question about reusing lids, are you processing the jam in a water bath canner? If the answer to that is "yes", it is recommended to start the process from scratch with clean jars and new lids. If the answer is "no" and you are freezing or refrigerating the jam, the current lids can be reused. Jam can be stored in a freezer for a year or a refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. You will need to let them set up for 24 hours before placing them in the refrigerator or freezer.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.