container gardening

Over many years I have kept 3 plastic containers on the railing of my balcony. When I first moved here many years ago I used clay pots, but they were blown off and broken at different times. Now with the plastic I have put stones in the bottom for weight and none have blown off. I like a tall "spike" plant in the center surrounded by geraniums and then ivy to hang over the edges of the pots. For the last year or two I had only the geraniums die off, so I just replaced them each spring. Now I think the ivy may be root bound and possibly the spike. Question - Would it be ok to carefully dump everything from a pot and return the stones. Then put old or fresh potting soil and then the spike (will maybe need new spikes) then 3 geraniums per pot and then a little of the Ivy after I have thinned it out a lot?

Henrico County Virginia

Thank you for your question.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Fresh potting media will really help. The only additional thing I would add is to use a 1:9 Bleach to water solution to scrub clean the inside of the window box. It may not be completely necessary, but since you are taking it apart and replanting I would do that. There may be some salt building from fertilizer on the inside of pot. You also may see some algae/mold.

Regards,
Ed