Wisteria trunk

Hi, I have a 20yr old thriving wisteria. Yesterday I noticed that part of the trunk is dead. Half of the trunk is dry, brittle and literary looks like composted soil inside. I could find no borers. Is this this part of the natural cycle of the trunk? I assume that what looks like one trunk is actually a group twisted branches. Am I right? Anything to worry about? Anything I could to?

New York County New York

So sorry to hear about this problem! The covered over soil is not ideal for your vine and holds in moisture around the roots where it can lead to rot. It is not possible to assess more without examination and possibly lab diagnostics. You should contact a certified arborist to look at your plant.

Thank you for your response. Can you recommend an arborist (NYC area) or any helpful link?

The most important consideration in selecting an arborist is finding one who has been trained and is certified. You can locate a certified arborist that works in your area through the International Society of Arboriculture.(www.isa-arbor.com).