Backyard pond frogs in portland

We have an estabolished pond in our backyard. The herons have cleaned out my frogs and fish. I am working on deterring the big birds and want to restock with local frogs. Love to watch and listen. Where can I get tadpoles or frogs?

Washington County Oregon

Thank you for your question. It is truly enjoyable to watch and listen to our native frogs. That being said it is not a good idea to move frogs from one location to another. It is a good way to spread disease. In addition, it is unlawful to capture and hold more than two native frogs without a ODFW permit. Here is the regulation: 635-044-0480 Holding of Nongame Wildlife

Now for the good news. If you had frogs in your yard before they will return. It sounds like you have deterred their predators. Make sure your pond is sufficiently deep, approximately 3', with places to hide under water. In addition, make sure to include plants in your pond for hiding as well.

With a well designed pond, soon you will be hearing the calls of frogs.