Leaf curl?

Good Afternoon, This is our first spring in our home, and we are learning about our property. It seems like we have leaf curl (we think), on our apple, hazel, a landscape tree that I can't quite ID (seems like an ash, but I'm not quite sure. Our property is small, but it is on all sides. We would prefer to use only 'natural' remedies. Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Benton County Oregon

Hi there,

I'll need a little bit more information to determine what is happening with the apple and hazelnut trees. Are you able to take any additional photos and attach as a reply to this message? The one of the apple was a little too blurry to make out. If you could take a photo that shows the whole tree and then a few of the affected area that would be very helpful!

You mentioned that one plant might be an ash. There is a very common foliar issue called ash anthracnose that we see show up most springs. Some years it is worse than others. For the ash the best thing you can do is rake up and dispose of fallen leaves and prune out any dead branches. No pesticides are warranted to treat this. Much more information can be found on this info page in the PNW Disease Handbook: https://pnwhandbooks.org/plantdisease/host-disease/ash-fraxinus-spp-anthracnose

I look forward to receiving additional photos and helping solve this mystery!

Hi Brooke, thank you for the response! I have attached photos of the apple tree, apple leaves, ash tree, ash leaves, hazelnut tree, hazelnut leaves. I hope this helps!

Here are the ash leaves the hazelnut tree and the hazelnut leaves.

Thank you for the photos, they are very helpful!

For the ash: this definitely looks a common fungal issue called Ash Anthracnose. Please follow the advice and check out the info that I sent earlier.

For the apple: This looks it could be caused by a mite called the appleleaf blister mite. This is a common problem that pops up. These are microscopic mites that overwinter in the leaf buds and feed on the leaf tissues. This website is out of Utah, but has a good photo and description: https://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/notes_ag/fruit-blister-mites Does this match what you are seeing? At this time of year, no management is recommended. Do you make dormant season treatments with horticultural oil? That would help as the oil smothers the mites and is a lower toxicity solution.

For the hazelnut: I'll need a little more information. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like this tree also has some dieback happening? Do you see anything abnormal if you follow that damage down the branches, down the trunk and to the crown area where it meets the soil? This looks like it's planted close to a structure-does the tree receive any additional irrigation? I ask because I'm wondering if the leaf issues are really related to a root or trunk issue. Take a look and let me know if you see anything odd. If you do, snap a few photos and let's see what's happening!

Take care and let me know if you have additional questions.