Daphne plant

Hello. At the end of October last year I trimmed my daphne plant and thought it’d be a good idea to remove the leaves. This is how it looked then and now. Do you think I killed it? Suggestions?

Washington County Oregon

Daphne odora is a commonly grown Daphne shrub. Is that what you have? They are evergreen or semi-evergreen when grown here, so keeping leaves for the winter is best. If it were thriving, you would see fresh leaves and even flowers already.

Are the twigs brittle? When you lift it from the pot, are the roots healthy and white? If dark and smelly, the roots have probably been dead long enough to begin rotting.
Do you see any new growth? You’ll need to use your best judgement on when to declare it fully dead, since our clinics are closed at this time due to the virus concerns.

I’m pretty sure it’s a Daphne odora. The branches are fairly brittle but don’t seem completely dead. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check the roots and if they seem okay, I’ll try putting them in compost tea and repot. Thank you.