First Garden Late Start

Hi all,

TL;DR: I'm basically wondering what should I do in Michigan at this time of year (mid-to-late May) to get some food out of my gardening space.

I recently moved to Michigan from Brooklyn, New York and have some land to garden for the first time in my adult life. I grew up with a garden but it's been a couple decades.

Our new house came with two raised garden beds, each 50 x 27 x 12 which the previous owners appeared to use to grow tomatoes and parsley. In addition, we have about another 50 square feet of mostly sunny yard and lots of semi-shaded areas as well.

Because of the stay-at-home orders in Michigan, we're getting off to a very late start this year, but I'm hopeful I can still salvage some of the summer to get some crops, spices or herbs grown. What should we look at planting to have homegrown food this summer and fall?

Washtenaw County Michigan

Hello and welcome to the beautiful state Michigan!

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert, we have plenty of information to get you started on your summer garden. Considering that we are in mid May, your best option would be to purchase plants from a garden center, which are now open and practicing social distancing. Click in the link below for detailed information on garden location, seed starting, soil management, pest management...and more.

Vegetables offered in your local garden center should be suitable for your climate and growing season in Washtenaw County. Specific plant info will be on the tag in the plant pot (sunlight, plant height, spacing and days to fruit maturity).

https://www.canr.msu.edu/home_gardening/vegetables/

Have fun gardening and enjoy your new home.

Pam V.