azalea disease

I have a number of azalea bushes in my yard that are infected with what I would call a fungus disease, i.e. a green, fuzzy growth on the stem. Over the past 2 to 3 years several of my azalea bushes have died as a result. Is there any way I can treat this fungus disease? Thank you for any information you may provide.

I regret I do not know how to attach a file (below) with a) photo of one of my azaleas which has the fungus.
I could send a photo to a UM extension service email address if that would be helpful.

Montgomery County Maryland

Based on your description we think you may be referring to lichens. They are not harmful and do not cause decline. They are usually found on mature plants and are a good indicator or air quality. Here is our webpage and photos https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/lichens

If this is not what you are noticing, please attach your photos to this reply so we can see what you may be dealing with. You
may have to upload your photos to your computer.
Some possible reasons for dieback include poor drainage, drought, poor growing conditions, etc.

Marian