How to stop hydrangeas from spreading?

I planted hydrangeas in the corner of my yard and now hydrangea plants are popping up all over the yard up to 20 feet away and on the other side of the fence in the neighbor's yard. Didn't know they were so invasive... How to stop them from spreading?

Brazoria County Texas

Howdy, and thank you for the inquiry. Vigilance is the key to eradicating any unwanted vegetation, and you can try a few methods for controlling hydrangea that is growing in areas of your home landscape. Hydrangea are spreading from underground stems called rhizomes, and you can take a long, straight shovel called a sharp shooter, try to identify where the rhizomes are originating and sever from the main plantings. I then recommend to spot treat extant specimens with a non-selective herbicide that contains concentrated active ingredient glyphosate. If applied according to product label directions, you should be able to safely eliminate the unwanted vegetation and not affect the 'parent' plant. Thanks again, and feel free to email me directly if I can be of further assistance.