APEX CUT OFF / Truck thickening

Hi, I am relatively new to Bonsai so this question may seem silly. I recently acquired a Dawn Redwood Bonsai. It is healthy but not in best condition in terms of over all shape with branches missing in certain spots. The tree came with apex cut off and I was hoping to grow it wild to help thicken trunk.What is easiest and quickest way to greatly thicken the bottom third of the trunk. Also, my plan is to keep it indoors spring through summer in a bright south west window with full spectrum lighting from two additional sources, then take it outdoors in September through Nov and into garage from Dec till Spring, then back indoors, repeating cycle every year.

New York

Thank you for your question. This is a very large plant to apply bonsai methods to, and you might want to consider a smaller one. Here is an article on their care: https://www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/redwood Once this species’ plant’s trunk has formed, it increases its girth in relationship to its height. ‘Topping’ it will not, in an of itself, cause the trunk to enlarge. I do not understand your plan to “grow it wild,” which is exactly opposite from bonsai techniques. I predict that it was so large when you got it (and not bonsaied from its ‘youth’) and will soon become to large to move between indoors and outdoors. Good luck!