Thousands of zelkova seedlings!

I am wondering if you have any idea why we are finding SO many zelkova seedings in our garden beds this year. We have had 4 of these trees for probably 20 years and have never had this problem. We are pulling them out so that we don't wind up with tons of trees coming up that, once larger, would be hard to get rid of. I was wondering if it might be due to all the rain or the cool summer.

Howard County Maryland

Hi - The high germination rate very likely has to do with a combination of environmental factors -- ideal temperatures and moisture conditions suitable to trigger germination. You may have trees in the group or nearby that have matured and are allowing for cross-pollination (and therefore see an increase in seed production). Also, some tree species have "mast years" when they produce higher numbers of seeds.

Christa