Dead English Ivy

I have massive amounts of English Ivy on my 1 acre of land all dead along with some other dead plants azaleas rhododendrons and day Lily’s This is highly unusual and I would like to find the cause and remedy it. Can you help me with this.
my neighbor next door started a dog grooming/washing business in her home., could this have something to do with the dead foliage? She says she has noticed no changes on her land.

Allegan County Michigan

I can’t think how your plants would be affected by the grooming service. When different plants in one location die at the same time, it is usually due to something abiotic such as a chemical, a flood event, construction damage, or winter damage.

Questions to consider are- when did each type plant die? Did any start to leaf out or bloom this year? How long have these plants been in their location? Were plants thriving in previous years or have they been struggling to grow in past years? Have any chemical or fertilizer treatments been applied in the fall or this spring to grass or other plants nearby? Does the area stay dry, or wet, or does it ever flood? Has the driveway been resealed or worked on? Is there any pattern, such as all in a circle, along one side of the drive, all in low spots of the property?

As you can see, this is somewhat of a detective’s job! You can write back to me with this information and I can try to help. Or contact the toll free MSU Extension Lawn and Garden hotline at 1-888-678-3464 Mon., Wed. or Fri. from 9-Noon and discuss this “live”.

I would recommend a certified arborist come on site and examine the plants, and you can tell him or her about the history of the plants. An on site examination of the azaleas, rhododendrons, ivy, etc. as well as the location, soil, slope of the land, will be much more comprehensive than we can be here.. The arborist will have recommendations and solutions. You can find certified arborists here by zipcode

Www.treesaregood.org