Concerned for bushes and tree...

I have a crepe myrtle bush and rose of sharon in my back yard that both started to get new leaves last month, then the leaves started turning black. Within a week all the leaves were dead on both bushes, starting from the top and traveling down. I have a snowball bush in between that is flourishing. Now today, I have discovered that the leaves on the top of my maple tree in the front yard are dying off. The bottom leaves still look nice and green but that is also the way the crepe myrtle and rose of sharon had started. I noticed some of the the trees lining the street in other's yards also seem to have some dead leaves at the tops and sides. Originally I had thought the cold was responsible, but now wonder if it is due to some type of fungus. I would like to get your thoughts on the matter. Thank you!

Madison County Kentucky

Hi. There has been a lot of issues with trees and shrubs this spring. Mostly due to weather and other environmental factors. Rarely will one disease jump to so many different types of plants. They are usually more host specific. Could you email me photos of each issue you are having? Up close and another further out from the plant so I can see how it relates to the landscape. Also let me know when problem started. How old plant is if you know. Have you used fertilizer or used any pesticides/insecticides on or near plant? Did you water last summer during drought? I know this is a lot of questions but it should help paint a picture. Amanda Amanda.sears@uky.edu