Groundhog Babies

I noticed that a groundhog has managed to get into my shed. Not under the shed, but into the shed. I wanted to clean the shed, move the groundhog out and plug up the hole. Before I do that, I was wondering if maybe there could be babies because it is spring. I don't want to disturb her if there are babies. I couldn't find a definitive answer. I don't even know if the groundhog is a male or female. Two questions: How can I tell the difference between male and female? When do they have their babies and how long before the babies venture out on their own? Thank you.

Livingston County Michigan

Good information on groundhogs is at: http://pcwd.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/1994Woodchucks.pdf

It is difficult to tell the difference between male and female groundhogs. Males on average are larger, but there is a lot of overlap in size. There might be babies now, and the chances increase as we move further into May. If you disturb the location, the mom might move her babies to a better location.
You could start doing some cleaning in the shed each day to create enough of a disturbance so the mother realizes she needs to move.

Groundhog-proofing is more than just "plugging the hole". Check out the article for more information.

If you don't address the issue, you could have a bigger problem as the young from this year start their own families next year.