Roadside stand

Asked May 2, 2020, 10:25 AM EDT

Hello, I would like to put up a roadside stand at my residence. I can't find exact rules and regulations on it. I was wondering if you knew the requirements of selling fresh produce, eggs, flowers and possibly baked goods. Also if there are rules on the structure they are being sold in. Thankyou for your time.

Lapeer County Michigan

1 Response


We certainly can give you some assistance on your project. In regards to eggs, The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) has information on egg sales on their web site. Here is an excerpt from a document related to people selling eggs in farmers markets. There are no regulations for egg sales when the farmer is selling direct to consumers. Assuming you are producing these eggs on your property, this is allowed. Here is the excerpt:

Does an egg producer selling shell eggs at the farmers market need to keep those eggs refrigerated? Is the producer permitted to re-use labeled egg cartons bearing another distributor's name and address on the carton?

There are no specific requirements for egg producers selling directly to a consumer or a first receiver. Maintaining eggs at 45ºF for safety, cleaning eggs and packing eggs in clean, properly labeled containers is recommended.

Web page:,4610,7-125-1568_2387_46671-169336--,00.html

With regards to your road side stand, your city or township make have regulation regarding the size and location of this stand in their zoning rules. We recommend you contact them for guidance.

The Michigan Right to Farm Law covered roadside stands on farm operations. This document will help you understand this law and the management practices that MDARD has published. One key issue is that you must be selling 50% or more products at your stand that you produce on your farm. In other words, you can't buy more than 50% of your products from other sources and sell them.

Flowers sales are not regulated but baked goods are. You can make some kinds of baked goods in your home kitchen and sell them under the Michigan Cottage Food Law. There are specific labeling requirements for these products. MSU Extension offers an online course for $20 covering the Michigan Cottage Food Law and you can also read about the regulations online:,4610,7-125-50772_45851-240577--,00.html

Online course:

We also have a Cottage Food Law webinar coming up on May 5:

Best wishes!