Breeder or research licensing

Asked May 1, 2020, 12:44 PM EDT

I have approximately 5 acres I wish to experiment with hemp. Ontario has breeder and research licensing for less than ten but more than four acres available. Does Michigan have anything like that?

Leelanau County Michigan

1 Response

At this time, only two licenses are available from the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD): grower, and processor/handler. We have been told that the latter is required if you want to do anything other than plant and grow the hemp, e.g. harvest, dry, transport, market, etc. There is no mention of developing a breeding program. You should contact MDARD (,4610,7-125-1569_74018---,00.html) directly to see if the grower license would suffice for someone developing a breeding program who does not plan to sell seed/seedlings/clones this year.