Apple scab

When I couldn’t get a landscape person to come out and spray my ornamental crab apple I purchased Captan by bonide as suggested by someone I spoke to there at MSU. The Captan directions say to repeat at 10 to 14 day intervals. Is this your recommendation? Is this something I do the entire summer? I had apple scab last year in the fall. I quickly picked up all diseased leaves until the tree was bare. What are your recommendations? I have tried to call 3 or 4 times this week before noon. Mailbox is full and no attendant answers. Are you done taking calls for now?

Oakland County Michigan

Hello

Thanks for your question. Here is an MSU Extension resource that provides recommendations for apple scab: https://williamshane.weebly.com/uploads/2/7/0/7/27077603/apple_spray_for_non-commercial_growers.pdf

Be sure to read and properly follow the label directions as they are the law.

As for your hotline question, county offices across the state are closed at this time. We can answer your questions here on Ask an Expert. If you prefer to speak directly with staff or volunteers regarding your lawn and garden questions, you can reach us at 1-888-678-3464 Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 9 a.m. and noon.