Raspberries

Hello, Is it true that black raspberries shouldn't be planted anywhere near red raspberries? I saw no mention of it on the extension website. Years ago I read they shouldn't be planted near because of a virus black raspberries often carry. Stark Brothers nursery has a warning about it on their website. Wondering if it is a myth. Thank you.

Rice County Minnesota

The "Establish the Planting" section of the following website addresses your question.

According to this bulletin, it's asymptomatic red raspberries that may spread virus to black and purple raspberries.

The bulletin seems to contradict what I read on the Minnesota extension website. https://extension.umn.edu/plant-diseases/viruses-backyard-fruit What am I not understanding?

Thank you

Thank you for writing.
This may clarify the matter. "Red raspberries tend not to show virus symptoms if infected but aphids can still spread the virus to Black raspberries that tend to be very susceptible. Plant black raspberries away from red raspberries but if you have a limited space, always plant black raspberries upwind from the red raspberries so that aphids are not blown by wind from red to black raspberries."
https://web.extension.illinois.edu/fruit/raspberries.cfm?section=small
I will take this matter up with the University Extension division to clarify.

Hi Steve, Thank you for responding. When I search raspberries on the university of Minnesota website one of the choices is a sheet about raspberry viruses. I copied and pasted it. This is why I am confused.

Thumbnail image
Symptoms of raspberry leaf curl virus ... in a new location or replant the existing site with black raspberries, which will not develop symptoms of the disease.

The page states that if your red raspberries become infected, they should be removed but black raspberries could be planted in that location as they are not susceptible to the virus. I know, confusing. Wild black raspberries carry a virus that can be transmitted to domestic raspberries. That is why they should be removed from the area. Black raspberries also can develop diseases that don't seem to affect the red.