sowing seeds

I have several seed packets that I am ready to sow. Last year the seeds must have floated away from the area where sowed. My question... I have a long piece of burlap, like a table runner, if I were to put this piece of burlap down toss some soil over the top after raking the ground below tossing the seeds on top and scattering more dirt will the burlap allow for plant growth. Some of the seeds are annual and a few say perennial. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you. Michele

Logan County Illinois

The burlap will likely impede root growth of the plants. If you are concerned about the seeds floating away you can plant them per the instructions on the seed packet. Then place the burlap over the top, this may help reduce the amount of soil (and seeds) that are washed away. Once the seeds begin to germinate remove the burlap.