keep cats OUT of my gardens.

How can I keep domestic cats out of my gardens? They are not my cats. I have heard many ideas from people. I would like to narrow it down to one or two ideas that I could try.

Benton County Oregon

Thanks for reaching out! Cats in the garden can definitely be tricky to manage. Here's my top two ideas to get you started:

1) If you have an edible garden take care to protect those plants first. If cats are using the beds as a bathroom, then there is potential for food safety issues. Using flexible bird netting around the beds works well. It's also thin enough that it doesn't block your view of the plants. You can also use this netting to block off entry points into your garden (gaps in fences, etc.) You can bird netting in rolls at most garden centers.

2) Other folks like to use motion activated water spraying devices. The cats walk into your yard and get surprised with a blast of water! Move the device around to keep cats from getting habituated to it. (Also keep in mind that you or your family can accidentally trip the sensor!) This is another item that can be found in a garden center, hardware store, or ordered online.

Hope these two tips get you started! If you want more ideas, check out this article: https://today.oregonstate.edu/news/how-keep-frustrating-felines-out-garden

Take care and good luck!