I live in Bexley and would like to plant a native serviceberry tree in my...

I live in Bexley and would like to plant a native serviceberry tree in my front yard. It seems like Allegheny Serviceberry trees are a good choice but i am not sure where to go to purchase one. What do you recommend?

Franklin County Ohio

Hi there,

Serviceberry is a fairly common small tree or large shrub here in central Ohio and you would be able to find one at most large garden centers/nurseries in the Columbus area. Because they are so popular, call first to make sure what you want is in stock. I did a quick online check and found it in inventory at three businesses. We have enjoyed the one we planted many years ago, and it just finished blooming this past week. If you can pick the berries before the birds get them, the berries make good jam.

Here is a fact sheet from Ohio State with all the pertinent facts on Serviceberry: https://hvp.osu.edu/pocketgardener/source/description/amelanchier.html.

Best of luck.