Weeds overtaking my lawn

I believe the weed taking over my lawn is the hairy bittercrest (see attachments). Just wanted to confirm that. What is the best way to get rid of this weed from my lawn. If I use some type of week killer, how long should I wait to plant grass seed?

Montgomery County Maryland

This looks like chickweed (Stellaria sp.). It is an annual plant that thrives in cool weather and is most often found in moist shady areas (but can move into other areas as well). Chickweed is native to Europe and Asia and is common now in most areas of Maryland.

If you want to remove it in a lawn, the most natural solution to getting rid of it would be to hand-pull or dig it out before seed dispersal. Seed can remain viable for about 10 years. It is getting ready to dieback and set seed. No post emergent weedkillers are recommended now as it dying on its own. If possible to prevent seed dispersal, perhaps you can bag your clippings when you mow this time.
You can seed now.
You will find more information on our website. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/common-chickweed

Marian