Quackgrass in home lawn (Certainty and weed wick)

Hi. I have large sections of quackgrass that I believe was brought in from topsoil a landscaper put down. I bought some Certainty Sulfosulfuron herbicide (very expensive), but I'm not sure if putting that down would selectively rid of the quackgrass. I also bought a 'weed wick'.....which has a braided rope that gets soaked with herbicide - and then would be dragged across the taller blades of the quackgrass. If I used Roundup with the weed wick, would this kill the quackgrass rhizomes and leave the desirable grass alone. Please provide your thoughts on the Certainty and weed wick. Hoping to avoid non-selectively killing off large sections of lawn with Roundup. Thanks much - Doug

Jackson County Michigan

Thanks for the question. Getting rid of quackgrass is tough. "Certainty" can kill the quackgrass; however, per the label it appears to be geared toward warm season turf grasses and is not suggested for our northern cool season grasses. A wicking should work with either herbicide and they will never be 100 percent and you will most likely kill off some turf. By using glyphosate you can quickly follow up with seeding those areas. When you use herbicides be sure to read and follow the label and wear the appropriate personal protective equipment. Check out the following links for some additional information
I hope this helps,

Thanks for the feedback. A few more questions......As far as the Certainty (Sulfosulfuron), would this damage perennial bluegrass? I could swear that I saw an earlier MSU write-up that suggested Sulfosulfuron to control quackgrass. I'm essentially asking if I definitely not use the Certainty at all.
With wicking using Roundup (I used weed and grass killer concentrate plus - with the red cap), when should I expect to see any results?
The total-kill (glyphosate) option is scary to me. Does MSU offer step-by-step instructions on application (including concentration), wait times, prep, fertilizing and seeding?
Thanks again - Doug

Doug. It appears that early on Kentucky bluegrass was thought to be tolerant to Sulfosulfuron. The MSU article has since been removed but is still reference on some mail order pesticide sites. The label does not indicate use on Kentucky bluegrass. Some sources suggests that it does harm KBG. Certainty could possibly work for spot control. For the glyphosate, the label is the document that should be followed with concentration same as for a sprayer. The label indicates 12 hours to see any activity but it may depend on what is being treated. Wait time is listed on the label as three days for lawn replant. Prep may require some removal of old growth with a rake so seed can make good ground contact. Small spots may just fill in. If the spot is large, a starter fertilizer will help. I hope this answers your questions. Check out the following links: