Outdoor Plants to support bees, b-flies, H-birds, birds...

Hello- What are some native plants I can plant in my garden and property to support bees, insects, birds... year round? I live in Clackamas County, Oregon City/Eagle Creek area. I appreciate you response in advance. Thank you!

Clackamas County Oregon

What a great question. I have plenty of resources for you. The best place to start will be with the Oregon Bee Project. This is a website from the Oregon State University’s Pollinator Health Program. They have gathered bee friendly resources and tools for home gardeners, landscapers, pesticide applicators, beekeepers, and many others. The link is specifically to the page for gardeners. It contains resources for garden design, including “Gardening with Native Plants in Western Oregon”. You will find lists of native plants that flower at different times which then provide food throughout the season.

You also might look at this publication from the Xerces Society, “Pollinator Plants: Maritime Northwest Region”. They have a list of flowering herbaceous plants, shrubs and trees by, early, mid, or late season bloom. It is a great place to start.

Enjoy this fun project that will help many pollinators.