Weed

Hi: I have a weed that I'm trying to identify. Can you identify and describe measures to control its growth? Thanks, Charles

Calvert County Maryland

This is called chickweed (Stellaria sp.). It is an annual plant that thrives in cool weather and is most often found in moist shady areas (but can move into other areas as well). Chickweed is native to Europe and Asia and is common now in most areas of Maryland. It does provide a food source for beneficial insects (small bees especially) and several species of birds (finches, doves) feed on the seeds.

If you want to remove it in a lawn, the most natural solution to getting rid of it would be to hand-pull or dig it out before seed dispersal. It is easy to remove by these methods. You will find additional management options on our

If you decide to use a post-emergent herbicide, be sure chickweed is listed on the product label and follow the label precautions for safe