Houseplant Bugs

Hi; How do I get rid of the tiny flying black bugs that keep emerging from the soil of most of my house plants??? Also, I bring my lavender plant in at night while it’s still below freezing- each morning on the window next to it are tiny flying bugs with elongated wings- totally different from the other flying bugs. I think they might be new hatched “Leafhoppers.” See photo. Can you help?

Wayne County Michigan

Thank you for your patience in waiting for a response. There are two separate issues:

1) Fungus gnats, the flying bugs on your house plants, are attracted to moist conditions. Letting the soil dry more between watering will reduce the number of fungus gnats.

2) It is normal for thousands of leafhoppers to live outdoors on grass and other plants. Since leafhoppers jump a few feet when moving, a few have probably made their way into the lavender pot. These plant-feeding insects cause minor to no damage on houseplants and lawns. The major concern with leafhoppers is in the summertime, when leafhoppers can carry pathogens such as viruses that harm vegetables. The few that made their way indoors should die after a few days.