Type of Grass In My Lawn?

Hello! I hope this message finds you and your families well. Working around my home this spring has been an excellent way to help stay busy during these crazy times. One thing I've began to dive deeper into has been lawn care. I have always assumed I knew the type of grass in my lawn just from picture comparison. However, I've never reached out for confirmation. My assumption has been basically a mixture of Tall Type Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass. Could you take a look at the attached pictures and confirm what type(s) of grass I actually do have so I can better tune in my lawn care program? Thanks In Advance, - Jeremy Back

Scott County Kentucky

Hi Jeremy - it is great time to be out and working in your yard. Your lawn looks like it has a mixture of grassy type plants in it. The bad news is that I do not identify or plants by pictures. But the good news is that you can drop of a couple of samples (3 inch square plugs of grass with roots and shoots and even seed heads if you have them attached) at our office, I can examine them and let you what type you have. Just put the samples into separate ziploc bags with your name and phone number on them. We are limiting contact at our office, but do have tubs at our front entrance to except samples. Also, next week I am offering a Horticulture Webinar Wednesday online that you may want to listen in to - check out the KY Hort website for information and times (https://kentuckyhortnews.com/horticulture-webinar-wednesdays/)
if you have time and access. It will be about Kentucky lawns, 2:00 Eastern time.

With all of that said, I would say it is likely you have tall fescue in your lawn, but it does seem to be mixed with other. Please leave your sample at the Scott Co. Cooperative Extension office, 1130 Cincinnati Road, Georgetown, KY. If you have any other questions please email me at sflynt@uky.edu. Thanks!