star jasmine

The leaves on my star jasmine started turning brown last year and thinning. This year another one is beginning to show same signs. And a 3rd one, in a pot is also turning brown. I'm attaching pictures. Is this a fungus? Insufficient water or fertilizer? How should I proceed to save the plant? The one in the picture I cut back to about a foot. Thanks you. Jennifer Hess Eugene, OR

Lane County Oregon

Your jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) generally looks healthy. This is usually a pretty trouble-free plant, not prone to any diseases, but because it is an evergreen, by spring its leaves can be looking stressed. On the pictures you sent, I don't see any obvious signs of disease. It does look like it may get a little too much hot sun - there are some leaves with gray sun-scorch spots. I suggest just cutting off the dead branches, and seeing how it looks as it starts into growth this spring. Make sure it gets adequate water in the summer.