Can you identify this cone?

I found a pine cone partially buried in the sand in the English Channel/Douve River estuary, off the coast of France, behind Mont St Michele, when the tide was out. I thought it was carved stone, as it did not appear to be alive at any point. I asked if I could have it and was told yes. After a few weeks, it dried out and expanded to about 3 1/2 inches tall and wide, (about 9 cm tall and wide), exposing seeds and large, thick scales. The seed pods were covered in a black, dusty substance. I've searched to try to determine what kind of pine it is, to no avail. If anyone can help me identify it, I would be forever grateful. Thank you in advance.

Yavapai County Arizona

Dear Client,

Thanks for submitting your question. I am not able to identify this tree as I am in Arizona and am not familiar with native or introduced pine trees from France or areas which may have deposited the cone from ocean currents. I am sorry.

Thank you for the response. Any idea of who I could forward this to, for further inquiry? Lisa

An expert in worldwide pine cone morphology - not sure who it would be. It is a very challenging question.