Fresh vegetable canning

When I can fresh string brand in a glass jar, they taste just like the canned ones you get from grocery store. They are not spoiled but have that tin can taste. Thanks. Help needed

Crawford County Georgia

I have spoken to a couple of other agents and there are many reasons why this may have happened.
Can you tell me the recipe you used and the method?
My direct email is jdallas@uga.edu

Thank you!

Thank you for your interest. The method i use is the hot pack method. I blanch my green beans. pack them in sterelized jars. add salt.then process. I think one of my problems is i have been useing iodized salt insted of canning salt. my beans taste too much like canned beans you get out of grocery store. I was thinking about canning my butter beans and peas this year but hesitant . Want them to not taste like grocery store canned beans. Any books you recomend for canning fresh produce? thank you for your help. Barbara

We recommend "So Easy to Preserve" or the Ball Blue Book or any USDA recipe.

If you are not following a verified recipe that includes processing times, I'm afraid I can't make any other suggestions than to find a research based recipe and try again.

Green beans also freeze very well. Instructions for freezing are in "So Easy to Preserve" as well.

Good luck.