Peas & Leeks

I wasn't paying attention & planted my pea seeds on the edge of my grow box. Then taking a 6 pk of leeks & planting the bunch of leeks (since their was no instructions) on the other side of the bed 3'x6'. I have since learned that with the packs of already leeks you take out ea cell & put in bucket of water & loosen the dirt off. This is my first time growing leeks. I didn't want to ruin the root system so planted ea. cell. Am I ok to gently dig around ea. cell planting of leek & transplant them now. Six cells is way more than I was wanting. I think with as many that are in one cell is too many. I reliazed that peas & beans don't like onions, garlic & leeks. My peas are already 2" & I have the support up for them so figured I'd move the leeks. What would happen tho- if I didn't move the leeks? Will the plants not do as well or taste good? Also I am in Clackamas Co. Where can I get my gauge checked for my canner? Thank you, Kimberly

Clackamas County Oregon

Leeks

Beans and legumes are not good companions for leeks or other allium related plants. You can probably do it, and get away with it without any noticeable negative consequences about 70% of the time. It has been documented however that alliums stunt the growth of beans, legumes, peas, etc.

Alliums exude a compound that inhibits growth in beans and legumes. A compound found in garlic and to a lesser degree extent leeks is known as "ajoene" acts as an anti-fungal agent in some cases, but has a negative effect in others, the growth of beans and legumes being one.

Since you planted your leeks approximately six feet away from your legumes should be fine. Generally, when talking about not planting X plant near Y plant it is referencing planting them next to each other or a row over if you are trying to be extra careful. The bonus of growing legumes is the following season you can plant alliums where legumes had been grown. They will benefit from nitrogen in the soil that legumes fixate into the soil. So to answer your question the choice is yours whether or not to transplant the leeks, personally I would not.

Two references for growing leeks: How to plant and grow leeks; Companion planting guide

Pressure Gauge Testing

Normally, I would direct you to the OSU Extension Service office where testing is free. But, pressure testing at this time might be near impossible. Here are a few suggested locations to contact:

Oregon City Appliance Parts, 501 Abernethy Rd, Oregon City, OR (503) 655-5594

Wilco Farm Store, 19224 S Molalla Ave, Oregon City, OR 97045 (503) 656-0616

Ace Hardware, 2070 8th Ave, West Linn, OR, 97068 (503) 557-5000

Also, some auto radiator shops do testing.

Presto Pressure gauge testing

If none of those work out and you are apprehensive about using your canner you might consider purchasing a new gauge for around twenty dollars.

Best of luck and happy gardening, Kimberly.