A root that seeps water

I have a root that is coming out from under my foundation. It is dripping at a steady rate. I never heard of this. Is there anything I can do to seal it or make it stop dripping? I thought I had a broken pipe.

Washington County Oregon

I've never heard of this. Do you know as to the type of plant this is? A picture would help to put this in context. In terms of sealing it, you can try a latex-based paint but I would be concerned it may not dry out. If you do a web search for tree wound dressing, that may work better. It could be that the root is providing a conduit for water and that I'm not sure I can recommend a fix.

I think I figured it out. I believe the root is from my English walnut tree. The root was severed when we were digging. I found articles on the sap running out of roots like water and even of collecting sap from walnut trees for syrup. I have collected about a gallon of liguid and I am currently boiling it down to see if I have walnut sap. My other trees are evergreens but this root has no pine odor.

I may have syrup or just a pot of dirty water. I'll let you know. Thanks for trying to help.

The photo is a of the root propped up in the air about 3 feet. The liquid is dripping out of a wound in the skin of the root. It fills that small bowl in about 30 minutes.

We'd love to hear what happened. Could you email me at kym.pokorny@oregonstate.edu? Thanks!