How do I help farmers harvest?

I know farmers are short handed in Michigan due to migrant labor issues. I'd be willing to help pick or whatever is needed. Is there a way to find farms that need help?

Michigan

It would be helpful to know where you are located - county would be good enough. Also, what type of farm work have you done or are familiar with? There are so many differences for the various commodities grown in MI and not all is easy or unskilled work.

Thanks for your response. I thought you might have a database of farmers looking for help and people willing to volunteer. I'm in Clinton county, Michigan. I'm a master carpenter. I've milked dairy goats, drive tractor, baled hay, Worked thinning cherries and apples, picking strawberries. Last year i put new roofs on my barns. Bad news: I'm 68 years old.

MSU Extension does not have a database as you mention. Too bad, as it sounds like you have some great skills to offer. The best suggestion I can come up with is for you to reach out to some local farms and offer your help. Perhaps visit farmers' markets when they start to operate and ask growers there. There are some fruit farms in the St. John's area. And I know of Clearview Orchards in Haslett. I sure hope this helps - it's nice that you want to stay busy and help out.

Thanks, Amy. I appreciate your ideas. Maybe someone will build a database. Meanwhile, I will check around. Stay healthy.

Our associate director of agriculture is Marilyn Thelen lives in St Johns. She may know of farmers who could use help. Please feel free to reach out to her at thelen22@msu.edu