Harvesting Help

Hi, I have a hive that didn't make it through the winter. I am incredibly sad about this because this colony was an especially sweet bunch of girls that were friendly and lively. I would like to harvest their honey but they were very prolific and would love to borrow a centrifugal harvester if one is available. Thank you, Dan

Multnomah County Oregon

Hi Dan, I’m so sorry to hear about your bees. Honey bees face many difficulties in this day and age. You are not alone.

The best place to find an extractor to borrow is in a local bee club or by word of mouth. Here is the listing of regional bee clubs from the Oregon State Beekeeper Association website. I would contact the club/clubs closest to you for more information.

Keep in mind that if you treated for mites with a product that should not be used when honey supers are on, then the brood area honey could have an off flavor. Taste some before you commit to extracting all the frames.

Also, if you are planning to obtain a nuc this spring, you might want to save some frames for them.

Enjoy your honey and I hope you find more gentle bees.