Will my tree live?

I have a very mature japanese maple that was damaged by a large branch from a tree above it, that fell on the japanese maple and ripped a big deep chunk out of the Jap. map because it ripped off a large branch. I am very concerned about my jap. map. and wonder if there is a way to treat the chunk, should I leave it alone? Will it heal? Or..will this kill my tree. You expertise is appreciated. I have attached pictures.

Howard County Maryland

There is nothing that you need to do. Let the wounds heal on their own. No pruning paint is needed as this can interfere with the healing process. Make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and keep away from the base of the stems. Water during dry periods. Monitor the health of the tree this growing season.

Middle photo - it looks like a branch was broken leaving a stub. Prune the branch back to the trunk area but not flush with the trunk. Prune back to the branch collar. (This is an area of swollen tissue that forms around the base of a branch where it is attached to the tree.) See photos of proper pruning and the branch collar on our web page https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/pruning-trees

Marian