grass under sheet mulching

I sheet mulched my entire front yard in December: I am ready to plant some natives, ( Backyard Habitat Certification goals) Do I plant right through the cardboard? The grass underneath ls lurking, and not as dead as I hoped. I am also interested in best materials for paths /stone options. And best wood chips for mulching between my new plantings to prevent grass eruptions. Thank you!

Multnomah County Oregon

You can pierce the sheet mulch to plant your plants, but it can take a long time to eradicate the grass. You didn't say what you used for sheet mulching but I've been most successful with 4-6 layers of cardboard topped with at least two inches of wood chips. When I've asked for wood chips from https://getchipdrop.com/ but I specifically ask that it not include walnut/black walnut or Ailanthus altissima (tree of heaven) as both are allelopathic and the latter is considered invasive.

for path options, I do like a combination of stone and wood chips but depending on your aesthetic that may or may not work for you. Almost anything will eventually support plant growth as organic matter (especially leaves) will eventually provide organic matter.