A Bent Pine Tree

Is it too late to fix my Leland pine tree? After overcoming resistance from my wife I cut off the lower limbs of our pine tree and it revealed the base was growing closer to horizontal than vertical. I straitened the tree so the top of the trunk is vertical. Should I instead try to get the lower trunk to be vertical which would then make the top of the tree look like it is not vertical? Would that give the tree a better chance of growing correctly?

The tree trunk is about 4 inches thick directly below and above the bend area. The tree is about 10 feet tall and Iis supposed to grow to about 30-40 feet tall. Am I better off removing this tree and planting a new one or can this tree be saved with reasonable growth expectations?

Mecklenburg County North Carolina

Hi - So sorry to hear about your Leland Pine. So, unless this particular tree is special to you for some reason, I would probably remove it and replace it with a tree that has the look you are trying to achieve. It is important to ensure that trees are shaped and appropriately pruned while they are young and it looks to me like this tree is past the age where it could easily be manipulated to bring it back into shape; however, if you really would like to save this particular tree, I would contact a certified arborist in your area and ask him or her how best to achieve the look you are trying to obtain. Depending on the look you are going for, you may also want to consider replacing it with an entirely different kind of tree altogether. If you would like to tell me a little bit about the area where the tree is (full sun/part shade etc.) and the characteristics you are looking for in a tree i.e. height, evergreen, native, screening etc. we may be able to recommend some trees to plant in its place.