What is eating my lettuce starts?

I have raised beds. I put lettuce starts in twice in the last few weeks. Within a couple of days they are eaten down (see photo). Slug bait was put on immediately after planting and no evidence of slug trails. Could this be birds? I saw some song sparrows on the bed a couple of times. I put netting over one bed but too early to tell if helping. Your column in the Oregonian is the highlight of my week. Linda Ganzini

Clackamas County Oregon

Thank you for the image of your lettuce.

Yes, the culprits are birds. The major evidence are sharply pointed bites -- think, bill-shaped -- taken taken from the edge of the leaves.

You'll need a sturdy barrier to stop them enjoying your spring greens. Perhaps row cover or aluminum screen propped above the plants; hardware cloth; or bird netting, the latter with small enough holes to thwart the smallest of birds. Be certain to secure the cover all around to interfere with easy access.