Hood strawberries

I planted what I hoped would be some delicious Hood Strawberries last spring, but had two problems. First, only a few grew, and then, those that did were taken by wild animals. Do I need to cover the entire bed? Very unattractive if so. Thanks!

Multnomah County Oregon

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to assess why your crop of strawberries weren’t a success. The most common cause is inadequate sunlight. Here is an Extension article on strawberries and their care: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/ec1618.pdf As for the wildlife issue, without knowing what is eating them, how to prevent it in the future is problematic. Birds, squirrels and deer, inter alia, like them, and each require different strategies to manage. But using screening will slow them down. Since Hoods only produce for a couple of years, you might want to consider planting your next crop in hanging containers that you can get in full sun. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!