Weeds

I live in Fort Klamath and moved into a home 3 1/2 years ago with mature lilac bushes , a grass lawn & a mature Blue Spruce tree, in front of house beds & be front fence beds in my front yard. I have grass growing and flower beds in front of the house (where grass has seeped in & by have hand weeded them) My problems are with lilac roots in front fence beds and grass as well, and lilac and Blue Bruce roots in the lawn. I have planted 5 rose bushes in the front fence beds and have weeded around them. I want to weed and clear roots in the bed so roses have clear space to grow (they are at least 5' apart) please.Help

Klamath County Oregon

Thank you for your question. Just to clarify: are you wanting to preserve the lilac and/or spruce plants, but just remove the roots? Will that not pose a problem long term for those plants’ health? Even if you remove today’s roots and the plant(s) thrive, the roots will return. As for the grass and weeds, here is a good Extension article: http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7465.html Good luck!

Yes, we definitely want to keep the blue Spruce and the lilac trees.

Well, you may need to choose between the lilacs, the spruce and the roses. Spruce have deepest roots; lilacs second deepest, and roses, third deepest. Eventually, one species will ‘win.’ Removing weeds and grass in your kind of raised beds may help. I’d suggest building up the concrete ‘raised beds’ to 2-4 feet, and plant roses there. Their roots won’t compete with the tree and lilac if they’re that deep. Easier to pull what weeds that high, too!

Roses are planted by the front fence (seek pictures) and they're bare Root, just planted them yesterday. By the house I have some tulips and tiger lilies and planned to plant some wildflowers or maybe something flowering good for zone 6. Suggestions?

Nice! Have you considered some native plants? https://extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/documents/1/nativeplantreclist.pdf