Garden tilling under the order

Every spring I help a few friends and neighbors till their garden for the planting season (early crops need to go in soon). Does this service fall under agriculture so people can feed themselves? Or, will I be subject to a fine by helping others. I have not been able to get an answer from any local agencies, not even an email reply. Thanks

Washtenaw County Michigan

Thank you for reaching out to MSU Extension during these difficult times. The past few weeks have been complicated and challenging and it's nice to hear of acts of kindness such as yours.

There are exception listed in Governor Whitmer's Executive Order (see 7a) but we are not the organization to interpret exceptions for specific situations and determine fines when people are not in compliance. I suggest contacting the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) through their email address dedicated to answering questions such as your. They can be reached at: MDARD-COVID19@michigan.gov.

Please take care. My sincere best wishes to you and your family for safety and good health.