frog habitate

There used to be a frog that lived behind me. But the owner cleaned up and now it's gone. I would like to build a Habitate where frog/s might come. I have an area about 6' x 8' that supports 2 red twig dogwoods. It's a sunken area about 8" deep. And it has some native bleeding heart, mertensia and wild geranium. There is a Canadian Hemlock off to one side. What kind of frogs would be attracted to the area? Should I dig out some soil to make an ephemeral pool. I assume that would mean using bentonite? I moved here 2 1/2 yrs ago. I am very ingnorant about the soil.

Multnomah County Oregon

Thank you for your question. The good news is where there is one frog there are many. I suspect you already have some in your yard as well. Most likely they are Pacific chorus frogs (Pseudacris regilla). Here is a link to additional information about the species: https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/living_with/docs/LWW_Pacific_Treefrog_final.pdf

If you would like to set up a breeding site, i.e pond, you could try bentonite or simply install a liner or pre-formed pond. This species is not very fussy about what the pond is made out of. You will want to include a few plants in the water. They most likely will not use the pond this year as they are at the end of the breeding season.

Lastly, they eat a variety of invertebrates so the use of insecticides in your yard will reduce their food supply.

Good luck.