Want green frogs in small pond

Asked March 31, 2020, 11:31 AM EDT

I have a small preformed pond 60 gallons? Have had it for 14 years. Some years I have had 11 green frogs living in and around it. Last year I only had one. What can I do to encourage and make a good environment for frogs? IHow do they hibernate? This spring I removed leaf catching cover, scooped leaves and one dead frog. How do I know frog was dead or was it hibernating? Please advise Thank you Laura

Washtenaw County Michigan

Hi Laura,
Thank you for contacting "Ask an Expert!"
Green frogs are a favorite of mine, and I'm so glad you are creating backyard habitat for them! Here is a comprehensive article on creating the best habitat in and around a pond for frogs:
https://www.thesprucepets.com/frogs-and-ponds-1238750
Unfortunately, the frog you found in the pond was likely dead. Frogs do hibernate, but they do so buried in soil - deep enough so they don't freeze and so that their skin remains moist. Hard to say what would have caused it to die.
That said, I would just look to the future to create lush habitat for frogs in your pond!
If you come across any questions while you plan, feel free to reach out and I'll do my best to provide answers.
Thank you,
Julie