Can you recomend a person who can eradicate a tree of heaven stump?

I need a company or person who is licensed to eradicate a tree of heaven stump which has sent out roots/seeds/sprouts across my property. I am weeding them all but I believe the source of them can be chemically treated - can you help me find the right person?

Multnomah County Oregon

Dear Multnomah,

I am currently out of the office due to COVID-19 and all of the referral documentation is there. I have sent an email request to see if I can possibly gain access to the building.

If this is not possible, I shall start contacting my colleagues for any companies that may recall for referrals. Please allow me one to two more days to fully answer your question. I apologize for this delay and any inconvenience this may cause you to occur.

Thank you Seamus I really appreciate your reply and effort! -Jen

Hi Jen,

We are in luck. Here is the information in the Resource Binder, I have edited it removing non-relevant information. Please understand, as an OSU Master Gardeners we cannot recommend or single out any particular company; we cannot show favoritism.

Guidance for clients looking for a certified arborist.

Many commercial companies employ Certified Arborists. This means that they have passed tests recommended for their industry and have taken part in continuing education to further their knowledge.

• Some companies may charge a fee for an on-site inspection.
  • Get at least 3 estimates before selecting a company to do any work.
  • Search the internet under Tree Service.
  • Then look for statement or logo stating Certified Arborist.
  • Check to see if they are licensed and bonded.
  • The International Society of Arboriculture has a list of certified arborists. Select “Find an Arborist”, and then follow search instructions.
  • Oregon Landscape Contractors Association, 147 SE 102nd, Portland, OR 97216. Skip the first 3 boxes and check arborists, scroll down enter any additional criteria, click Search.

Many landscape companies will grind stumps and/or apply a pesticide (herbicide) to remaining sprouts. Again, make sure the company you decide to hire is certified, licensed, and bonded. I sure hope this information helps you. Good luck and happy gardening.

Thank you Seamus!