Fungus on apple serviceberry?

Asked March 30, 2020, 7:46 AM EDT

We have three 16 year old white flowering apple serviceberry trees in our small backyard. There seems to be some type of green fungus, algae or disease on them. How can I get rid of this? Can they be saved? The trees provide beautiful shade and privacy from our very close neighbors and I do not want to lose them. We love to watch all types of birds that love the berries too, especially cedar waxwings. Please help! Thank you so much!

Kalamazoo County Michigan

Hello. It is lichen on your trees and it will not harm the tree, it is a combination of algae and fungus. However, please do pull your mulch 3-4” away from the bark of your trees. When mulch touches the bark it is a possible spot for insects/disease to grow.

Thank you so much for responding to my question - esp so quickly!

Good to know that it will not harm the tree. Yes, I will definitely move the mulch away from the base of the trees.

Thank you again! I really appreciate it!