Hydrated lime in pig pen

I followed the advise of a Grange Coop employee and put hydrated lime in a pig pen with a dirt surface to disinfect. I thought she said it would melt into the ground with rain. Well it did not. Is hydrated lime on/in the soil a danger to pigs?

Douglas County Oregon

Hydrated lime is frequently used to disinfect pens. Only a thin layer is used because it can be irritating to sensitive areas of an animal's body. With sheep we just add layers of new straw on top of the soil applied hydrated lime. But pigs would probably just dig down to the lime.

It should dissolve into the soil with time and moisture. You could wait more time as it should rain more this week. Alternatively, you could mix the surface layer into the top 2 - 3 inches of soil. That way the lime is diluted a bit. Watch for any skin irritation. If you see that, remove the pigs from the treated pens and add new soil to the pens.