Extensive weeds in our garden spot!

Hi, We have recently moved back to Oregon. We have several high weed areas in the area (approx. 1 acre)that we are wanting to put a garden and fruit trees. We need the best and safest methods to get rid of these weeds. (I've attached some photos.) Thank you, Julia

Polk County Oregon

Hi Julia:

I guess what is the best way to remove the weeds depends on what you are prepared to do and how quickly they need to be removed. I attach a link to an OSU Extension publication on perennial weed biology and control, which summarizes the most common option. I don't think it discusses smothering the weeds, using plastic, cardboard, mulch, etc., which is an option, but on 1 acre this might prove to be quite a formidable task. But that is also an option, along with mechanical or herbicide control and also steam treating or flaming, if the equipment to do this can be found. Feel free to write directly to my email with specific questions.