Old flower bed

I have a flower bed which has been taken over by weeds. I dug out all of my perennials & sprayed the bed with roundup. Once the weeds are dead, should I pull or rake them out of the garden, or just turn them over and mulch the bed? Thank you

Anne Arundel County Maryland

If the weed remnants are pulled up or dug and turned, the resulting soil disturbance may bring more viable weed seeds to the surface where they can germinate. You could either do this and then mulch the bed to prevent future weed seeds, or clip off the weed tops instead to let the dying roots decay in time. If the RoundUp spray has been effective, the roots on perennial weeds should die off and not re-sprout when their tops are removed. Since various weed species set seed at different times of year, future weed appearances are still possible, and thus mulching the bed regardless would help minimize their numbers.

Miri