Trimming arborvitae branches to trunk

Asked March 27, 2020, 11:54 AM EDT

I have what I believe is a large arborvitae growing against my garage. It’s maybe about 12-13 feet tall. It’s on the west corner of my vegetable garden and it blocks several hours of sun, so I’d like to cut it somehow. Removing it all together isn’t an option, but I was considering removing all the branches from the bottom 6 or 7 feet, leaving it in a kindof deciduous shape. My hope was that this would allow a couple more hours of sunlight to the garden. But I’m afraid that cutting this much off will damage or kill the shrub. Can you tell me if this is possible? Thanks! ~Sarah

Summit County Ohio

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.