Should I be fertilizing my apple and peach trees? How and with what

Stark County Ohio

Fruit trees are fertilized to ensure continued growth and fruit production. In the backyard orchard, proper pruning in addition to the application of nitrogen in the spring prior to or at bud break helps maintain this productive status. Other than nitrogen and zinc, iron and manganese may limit growth due to alkaline soil conditions. Apply nutrients based on a soil test analysis conducted by the soil testing lab. Your county OSU Extension office can help you with soil testing in your area. It is at 2800 Richville Drive, SE Suite 100
Massillon, OH 44646

Phone: 330-832-9856

The amount of nitrogen to apply can also be based on how much shoot growth occurred the previous season or on a soil analysis. Reduced fruiting wood and reduced fruit production results when the growth rate is less than what is recommended.Too much nitrogen will result in excessive growth and disease, especially fire blight.

You can read more about fruit trees on-line at: https://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/garden/07612.pdf